See full text:
The Honourable Speaker,
Lagos State House of Assembly.
SOS ON MEMBERS OF IJEGUN; IJEDODO AND ABULE-ADO COMMUNITIES: WHY LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT SHOULD AVOID ANOTHER PROTEST
The Human Rights Monitoring Agenda (HURMA) is a body committed to equity and justice in its service to humanity. We humbly sympathize with the Lagos State Government with respect to the unwarranted destruction of life and properties during the last EndSARS protests, we pray for peace and development in our dear state.
The pro-people positions of Lagos State Government including State House of Assembly is highly appreciated and we hope they will do more in terms of representing the genuine interests of Lagosians and promote justice, peace and development to all.
HURMA secretariat has just received a save our soul letter from the people of Ijedodo, Ijegun and Abule Addo of Iba Local Council Development Area [LCDA], about the intent to illegally and unjustifiably demolish the houses/properties of the poor, marginalized people by the Lagos State Ministry of Works in collaboration with Omoonile hoodlums and thugs.
It is on record that the committee on Work, Housing and Infrastructure Development of the Lagos State Assembly visited the disputed site for the proposed 19.39 km road to link up Ijedodo, Ijegun and Abule – Addo in the presence of the residents Lawyer through the Chairman of the committee on works and infrastructure, Nureni Akinsanya who promised to go back and report to the House based on their findings and then forward such to the Government.
While the community had been agitated following the marking off many project’s Right of Way (ROW), affected residents were irked by the development which they described as a total deviation from what is in the original Ijegun – Ijedodo – Abule Ado model city plan 2010 – 2020 as approved by the state government.
1. That the Lagos state government should stick to the original plan 2010 – 2020 on Ijegun – Ijedodo – Abule Ado model city.
2. That the harassment of the people by the agencies of Lagos State and Omoonile must stop immediately.
3. That the rich people encroachment on the original plan should be the focus in term of documents verification and not the wretched of the earth who are trying to survive.
4. That the recent peace we are witnessing after the EndSARS protests is very fragile and any unjust policy or project that will deprive the people of Ijegun – Ijedodo – Abule Addo from the socio-economic should be desist from here with.
5. We shall not hesitate to fully mobilize all the fighting forces in the human rights community to rise in the defense of people’s rights on the matter.
6. We demand urgent palliatives to the people of Ijegun – Ijedodo – Abule Addo in Iba LCDA to enhance peril & psychological stability treated by the government agencies.
7. The Government must investigate how Omonile sold the land that was meant for road to link Ijegun – Ijedodo – Abule Addo as put in the original plan with some officials of Lagos state government and later shift the road project to genuine land brought by the ordinary people which the government agencies are focusing on illegitimately.
We sincerely thank Rt. Honourable Speaker and encourage the government to come out and allay the fear of the people and give them succour at the most critical period. May Almighty God continue to guide the Lagos State Government and House of Assembly in their efforts to build peace, just and prosperous Lagos state for all.
We thank you in anticipation of your prompt response.
Yours in the Strugggle,
Comrade Buna Isiak Olaitan
Cc: His Excellency
Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Executive Governor of Lagos State.
Hon. Commissioner for Works and Housing, Alausa,
- Share your story with Rights Monitors or contact us for emergency:
08038040123 (WhatsApp and SMS)